Carroll Electric reminds you never to give out personal or financial information in response to any calls that you receive. If you receive a suspicious call about your electric bill, do not supply any information. End the call and then notify us of the incident at 1-800-232-7697.
Utility shut-off scam
In this scam, a caller - pretending to represent Carroll Electric - says the consumer's power will be shut off unless the consumer immediately sends money to the scammer using a wire transfer, prepaid money card, or gift card. In reality, the call is not coming from Carroll Electric. Protect yourself by following these tips:
- When in doubt, hang up. If a caller claims to represent Carroll Electric but makes threats or demands immediate payment, hang up and call Carroll Electric at 1-800-232-7697 (the number appears on your electric bill).
- Don't trust your caller ID. Callers can disguise the number that appears on your caller ID, making it very difficult to determine where a call is coming from; it may even appear to be coming from Carroll Electric.
- Ask callers to identify themselves and provide written documentation. If they refuse, it is probably not a legitimate business.
- Carroll Electric will provide written notice of a delinquent account before disconnecting your service.
- Beware of requests for prepaid money cards or gift cards. These are preferred payment methods for scammers.
- Don't give out personal information over the phone.
Don't be fooled by scams
Scammers use a variety of tactics to make their offers seem legitimate. Learn to recognize the signs of a scam to protect yourself and those you care about. Below is a list of most common scams. Learn more about the most common types of scams.